Madhya Pradesh CM reviews progress of Ken-Betwa river linking project, directs officials to ensure facilities for displaced families

Aug 21, 2026

Chhatarpur (Madhya Pradesh) [India], August 21 : Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Mohan Yadav on Friday reviewed the progress of the Ken-Betwa River Linking Project and directed officials to visit project-affected families to understand their difficulties and ensure that all necessary facilities for displaced families.
The Chief Minister held the review meeting of the project at the Maharaja Chhatrasal Convention Centre, Khajuraho in Chhatarpur district, where detailed discussions and necessary directions were issued regarding its progress and implementation.
Yadav said the Ken-Betwa Link Project would be a milestone in the development of Bundelkhand, bringing significant improvements in irrigation, drinking water supply and energy in the region.
"This project is the country's first river-linking project, on which the Madhya Pradesh government, the Government of India and Uttar Pradesh are working together. Its foundation stone was laid in December 2024 and the target is to complete it by 2030. The project would bring significant changes in irrigation, drinking water and energy sectors across Bundelkhand and parts of central India and other regions in MP," the CM said.
He added that the project would bring tremendous transformation in irrigation, drinking water and energy.
"Irrigation capacity in Madhya Pradesh will increase by approximately 8.11 lakh hectares; there will be benefits of 103 MW of hydropower and 27 MW of solar power generation. It will also provide drinking water benefits to over 44 lakh people. This is truly an extraordinary project capable of bringing transformation," he said.
The Chief Minister said 1,382 villages would benefit from the project, including those in Panna, Damoh, Chhatarpur, Tikamgarh, Niwari, Sagar, Vidisha, Raisen, Shivpuri and Datia districts.
"If we look at the number of villages that will benefit, 1,382 villages are going to benefit from it. The increase in capacity for drinking water is also remarkable. Today, we reviewed the project, and the progress presented so far is quite encouraging. We are going to do everything possible for our people through the Government of India as well as the Madhya Pradesh government. We have also emphasised working in greater detail so that there is no minor or major error in the project," he said.
Yadav said discussions were held with Water Resources Minister Tulsiram Silawat, Minister of State for Forest and Environment Dilip Ahirwar, senior leader V D Sharma and legislators from Panna and Chhatarpur to ensure that the concerns of beneficiaries and affected families are addressed.
He added that officials had been directed to ensure proper rehabilitation of families who would be displaced due to the project.
"We have instructed the officials that wherever the displaced families are going to be settled, schools, primary facilities, community halls and other essential infrastructure should be established according to their needs. They should also receive the benefits of various government schemes, and the fixed financial assistance from the government should reach them. In most places, it has already reached them, but if there are still any difficulties, the government stands completely with everyone. It was with this approach that we held the review meeting today," Yadav said.

More News